About Me

My photo
www.carlietrosclair.com

Monday, May 14, 2012

Monday

I couldn't tell you the last time I didn't dread a Monday. Just the very notion that it's the beginning of the week. Its a dislike most share, whether the beginning of your work or school week. Places to be, deadlines to meet, meetings, coffees, all rushed through to get to the end of the week for some time to "relax" or wind down only to start over again the following Monday. But not here. Monday is awesome. Awesome because it doesn't mean anything. Anything besides 24hrs of whatever the hell you want. And then the next day. Completely open ended.

Completely open ended with the exception of our 3x/day meal schedule (chef prepared), and yoga schedule.  But luxury doesnt really fall under "schedule."

I also cannot remember the last time I felt it was ok to be playful or free in my studio. The feeling is reminiscent of working in my undergrad studio til all hours of the early morning, listening to Van Morrison and Al Green, equipped with 2 bottles of wine and a travel opener. Grad school studio was different- most efforts felt contrived. pressured. judged. a byproduct of our advisors at times. But when one of the founders gives a welcoming speech the first night at dinner and prefaces his words of wisdom with "check your resumes at the door" one cannot help but feel lighter. Unpressured. Without agenda. Completely self governing.

I also stopped carrying around my cell phone, which in itself is freeing. 
Everything is slow paced.
Ridiculously walkable.
Incredible landscape.
And mostly the feeling of camaraderie knowing that with all of this unscheduled time everyone around you is choosing to spend their time the exact same way: being a maker.

More good news is that I hit the sculpture studio scrap yard early this AM and found some leftover gems to get started with before it looked like anyone else had taken a stab.
(Did I mention I woke up at 7:30 this morning unprompted? Hopefully my excitement for being here continues to make me an early riser. And breakfast is at 7)



No comments:

Post a Comment